our little daemon abused as symbol of the evil

Dag-Erling Smørgrav des at des.no
Tue Feb 9 12:27:18 UTC 2010

"Julian H. Stacey" <jhs at berklix.com> writes:
> I asked someone who registers trademarks as part of her job:
> 	One can apply to register a trademark in {(my (Julian) brackets) at
> 	least all of} Germany Britain America {etc}.  She spoke of
> 	an international form where one ticks the countries one
> 	wants {to apply to}.
>
> I recall there's initial & recuring fees (& admin) on getting &
> renewing trademarks.  So questions could be:
> 	Has Kirk (or A.N.Other) registered it [which, what] as a
> 	trademark ?  In which countries ?  When ? URLs please.
> 	Have they already/ when will they expire
> 	Whose crontab file reminder who Kirk ? to pay renewal
> 	fees [to which countries] ?

There is no need to register a trademark.  Kirk owns the *copyright* to
the image, which is valid world-wide at no cost.  As the copyright
holder, Kirk gets to decide who is and isn't allowed to use the image
and for what purpose.

I'm tempted to say that those researchers' use of the daemon is a
shocking display of lack of respect for intellectual property, if I
didn't already know far too well that most scientists are not only
completely clueless about IP but do not even understand it when you
explain it to them.

DES
Dag-Erling Smørgrav - des at des.no