syscall provider naming convention. Re: kern/152822: [patch] DTrace: syscall provider for compat/freebsd32

Sat Dec 11 20:53:49 UTC 2010

On Sat, 11 Dec 2010 11:43:05 -0800 Artem Belevich <fbsdlist at src.cx>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm tinkering with DTrace syscall provider for COMPAT_FREEBSD32 and
> linuxulator binaries and I wonder what would be the best way to name
> those providers.

Maybe a little bit related: do you know about my (unfortunately
out-of-date) branch to add dtrace providers to the linuxulator?
http://svn.freebsd.org/viewvc/base/user/netchild/linuxulator-dtrace/

If you are interested feel free to borrow things from there.

> I'm leaning towards using 'module' but I would appreciate hackers@
> opinion on the best way to proceed.

My first thought was that this is a good idea.

My second thought was the question if you can make the provided values
there compatible enough that a dtrace script is able to cope with it
when someone does not uses a specific module but the wirldcard
operator. If not I suggest to think again about it.

Bye,
Alexander.