syscall provider naming convention. Re: kern/152822: [patch] DTrace: syscall provider for compat/freebsd32

Artem Belevich fbsdlist at src.cx
Sat Dec 11 19:43:06 UTC 2010

Hi,

I'm tinkering with DTrace syscall provider for COMPAT_FREEBSD32 and
linuxulator binaries and I wonder what would be the best way to name
those providers.

One option is to create separate provider for each compat variant.
E.g. syscall::write/syscall32::write/syscalllnx32::write..
Another to keep provider name as syscall and use 'module' to
distinguish between compat variants. E.g.
syscall:native:write:/syscall:freebsd32:write:/syscall:linux32:write:

I'm leaning towards using 'module' but I would appreciate hackers@
opinion on the best way to proceed.

Thanks,
--Artem