In search of a video card

Rick C. Petty rick-freebsd2008 at kiwi-computer.com
Thu May 14 20:00:28 UTC 2009

On Thu, May 14, 2009 at 01:42:20PM +0800, Adrian Chadd wrote:

> I've experienced no-acceleration radeon driver "desktop" under Ubuntu
> and FreeBSD; let me please point out how sluggish and horribly slow it
> is.
>
> I gave up trying to get accelerated 3d + dualhead support on the
> card(s) I was using - apparently the hardware just didn't do a single
> viewport span across 2 1280x1024 screens :(
> (The max viewport width was 2048 pixels..)

With the nvidia driver I've seen great 3d acceleration work on both heads
without using twinview (because I want different resolutions on each head).
Perhaps the ATI hardware isn't capable of this, but nvidia's cards seem to
be.  It's too bad the open source drivers haven't made enough progress in
this area yet.

-- Rick C. Petty