Google SoC 2009 Idea

Robert Watson rwatson at FreeBSD.org
Thu Feb 26 08:23:21 PST 2009

On Wed, 25 Feb 2009, Tim Kientzle wrote:

>> I have not gone through the process scheduler code of Free BSD. Hence, I am
>> not yet aware about the current support for Multicore Architectures.
>
> Since you posted to a lot of different lists, I think you probably don't
> already use FreeBSD. (If you did, why would you post to NetBSD and
> DragonflyBSD lists?)  Scheduler work is quite complex and interacts heavily
> with the rest of the system; it may not be a good choice for someone who
> doesn't already have a lot of experience with FreeBSD.

All the things you say are true, but let's not be too hard on the new guy,
however -- many of our GSoC students don't have previous FreeBSD
kernel-hacking experience.  However, it does mean that they have to pick
project ideas that are well-suited to a significant warmup and investigation
period on the front end of the project.

I'm also not convinced that a scheduler project along these lines would be the
most successful, but I wonder if a more experimental-spin proposal for looking
at how to investigate poor scheduling decisions using dtrace, instrumentation
and metrics to help us understand performance on NUMA systems, and exploring
the impact of heuristics might go a long way.  As our ULE scheduler has most
of the non-NUMA features suggested in the original already, it would actually
be a nice starting point for this.  I understand Jeff Roberson has been doing
some initial looking at NUMA, but more from a memory placement and less from a
scheduling perspective?

Robert N M Watson
Computer Laboratory
University of Cambridge