Google SoC 2009 Idea

Tim Kientzle kientzle at freebsd.org
Thu Feb 26 09:19:37 PST 2009

Robert Watson wrote:
> On Wed, 25 Feb 2009, Tim Kientzle wrote:
>
>>> I have not gone through the process scheduler code of Free BSD.
>>> Hence, I am not yet aware about the current support for Multicore
>>> Architectures.
>>
>> Since you posted to a lot of different lists, I think you probably
>> don't already use FreeBSD. (If you did, why would you post to NetBSD
>> and DragonflyBSD lists?)  Scheduler work is quite complex and
>> interacts heavily with the rest of the system; it may not be a good
>> choice for someone who doesn't already have a lot of experience with
>> FreeBSD.
>
> All the things you say are true, but let's not be too hard on the new
> guy, however -- many of our GSoC students don't have previous FreeBSD
> kernel-hacking experience.  However, it does mean that they have to pick
> project ideas that are well-suited to a significant warmup and
> investigation period on the front end of the project.

I apologize to Siddharth and others if I came off overly
harsh.  My intention was to caution him that he should
plan for a lot of work prior to GSoC if he wants to
tackle something that's at the core of the OS like this.

> I'm also not convinced that a scheduler project along these lines would
> be the most successful, but I wonder if a more experimental-spin
> proposal for looking at how to investigate poor scheduling decisions
> using dtrace, instrumentation and metrics to help us understand
> performance on NUMA systems, and exploring the impact of heuristics
> might go a long way.

That's a good idea.  The thing that's always impressed
me about scheduling work is how very difficult it is to
test.  It's easy to change the scheduler code; it's
much harder to measure whether those changes have
made the scheduler better or not.

Some testing support would help.  Ideally, something
non-intrusive that could be easily run on a lot
of different machines so as to collect better information
about the impacts of scheduler changes:
  * Load balancing:  How effectively are all cores being used?
  * CPU switching:  What percentage of the time does a thread
stay on the same core?
  * NUMA statistics:  How often does a thread get scheduled on a
different processor from it's allocated memory?
  * Priority inversion:  How often is a higher-priority thread
idle while a lower-priority thread is running?

A student who built such a tool and then ran some tests
with a variety of hardware and workloads could really
do a lot to advance scheduler development.  Eventually,
turning such a tool into something that anyone could run
and upload data to a central collection site could be
a huge advance.

Certainly something to think about...

Tim