Can I change the device of the "/" mount point at boot time.

Tapan Chaudhari tapan.list at gmail.com
Tue Jul 15 04:38:27 UTC 2008

Hey,
   Thanks Deniel for the reply. I am aware of the fact you mentioned and
will keep in mind.
Well what i am trying to achieve is a simple thing to write an interception
driver to catch all the i/os going to a particular device, do some
manipulations on it and than let it through to the original device. Well as
you mentioned about geom, I have recently posted a mail on GEOM mailing list
as I could not find geom doing interception, the discussion is still on (You
can see the mails with subject line "Can GEOM be used to intercept the I/o
calls to an existing mounted device?"). Any sugessuions on interception
driver will be helpful?

As an interception driver is not possible, for time being I am going towards
the redirection concept which will require a reboot and changing the devices
on the mount points. For redirection driver, I dont think I will need geom.
I can directly create a new device. Rather I think it would be an overhead
using geom for a virtual device.
Any thoughts on both the issues?

Thanks,
--Tapan.