Can I change the device of the "/" mount point at boot time.

Daniel O'Connor doconnor at gsoft.com.au
Tue Jul 15 04:05:00 UTC 2008

On Tue, 15 Jul 2008, Tapan Chaudhari wrote:
> Thank You Mateusz and Mike. I guess I am clear with my doubt now. I
> will also go through the man pages to go into depth of it.

The critical thing is that the loader must read the kernel (and modules,
config etc..) from a disk the BIOS knows about.

After that you can use any device the kernel knows about.

As for the virtual device aspect - could you use a geom class to do you
want? It's hard to say without an overview of what you actually want to
achieve :)

are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum