FreeBSD Best Practice

Ivan Voras ivoras at freebsd.org
Mon Jul 14 14:55:48 UTC 2008

Karl Fischer wrote:
> Hello
> I'm a SysAdmin, I'm wondering whether this is the correct list to ask?
> I'm looking for FreeBSD Best Practice information, (or a FreeBSD
> Mailing List, I can join)
> I want to make sure that all my servers comply to at least some widely
> accepted standards,
> so in the event of me getting hit by a bus or being abducted by aliens,
> another person can take over from me.
>
> I have done a search through the mailing lists and this seems like the
> list to ask.

The only thing that comes close to that is the Handbook, which covers
only the base system (e.g. without web servers, databases and similar
"third party" software). The Handbook describes how to set up RAID,
networking, add users, sendmail (but no POP3/IMAP servers), etc. in a
fairly detailed and consistent way.