Synaptics

Eygene Ryabinkin rea-fbsd at codelabs.ru
Tue Jan 22 00:11:03 PST 2008

Cristian, good day.

Mon, Jan 21, 2008 at 11:06:26PM +0200, Cristian KLEIN wrote:
> Eygene Ryabinkin wrote:
>> But what protocol is selected?  From your Xorg log I assume that
>> it is either "event", "auto-dev" or not set at all.
>
> I just ran into the same problem. In xorg.conf I explicitly told the
> synaptics driver to use "psm" and "/dev/psm0", but the error message would
> suggest that it uses "event".
>
> Also, I tried to change the source code of the synaptics driver
> (synaptics.c) and hard-coded "psm" as the only driver, no matter what
> xorg.conf says. Synaptics still would not start, but this time complaining
> that no device was specified. Please note that I had "Device" in my
> xorg.conf, but the error suggests that the driver ignored it.

Could you please provide your Xorg configuration file and the Xorg
logs for the run when you had hardcoded psm driver.  It will also
be good to see the modified Synaptics driver source file.

And the version and platform for your FreeBSD is?

> It almost seems that no matter what options I pass to synaptics, it does
> not receive them. Is it possible that Xorg's option retrieval functions
> have changed making the (relatively) old synaptics unusable?

Maybe, but I am running Synaptics driver on my laptop for years and
it works now without any problems.  My laptop is i386, it runs
FreeBSD 7-PRERELEASE, Xorg server 1.4_3,1 and synaptics 0.14.6_2.

If you'll provide the information, I will try to look at the problem,
but I expect to start investigations next week.
--
Eygene