Synaptics

cristi at roedu.net cristi at roedu.net
Wed Jan 23 03:26:47 PST 2008

> Cristian, good day.
>
> Mon, Jan 21, 2008 at 11:06:26PM +0200, Cristian KLEIN wrote:
>> Eygene Ryabinkin wrote:
>>> But what protocol is selected?  From your Xorg log I assume that
>>> it is either "event", "auto-dev" or not set at all.
>>
>> I just ran into the same problem. In xorg.conf I explicitly told the
>> synaptics driver to use "psm" and "/dev/psm0", but the error message
>> would
>> suggest that it uses "event".
>>
>> Also, I tried to change the source code of the synaptics driver
>> (synaptics.c) and hard-coded "psm" as the only driver, no matter what
>> xorg.conf says. Synaptics still would not start, but this time
>> complaining
>> that no device was specified. Please note that I had "Device" in my
>> xorg.conf, but the error suggests that the driver ignored it.
>
> Could you please provide your Xorg configuration file and the Xorg
> logs for the run when you had hardcoded psm driver.  It will also
> be good to see the modified Synaptics driver source file.
>
> And the version and platform for your FreeBSD is?

I don't know why I keep forgetting to include essential information. Sorry.

cristi:~# uname -a
FreeBSD hades 7.0-RC1 FreeBSD 7.0-RC1 #0: Mon Dec 24 10:10:07 UTC 2007
root at driscoll.cse.buffalo.edu:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  amd64
cristi:~# pkg_info | grep xorg-server
xorg-server-1.4_3,1 X.Org X server and related programs
cristi:~# pkg_info | grep synaptics
synaptics-0.14.6_2  The Synaptics touchpad X driver

Suppose I use the attached xorg.conf file, at some point,
/var/log/Xorg.0.log shows the following error:

(II) Synaptics touchpad driver version 0.14.6 (1406)
Synaptics_Touchpad no synaptics event device found (checked 10 nodes)
Synaptics_Touchpad The /dev/input/event* device nodes seem to be missing
(EE) xf86OpenSerial: No Device specified.
Synaptics driver unable to open device
(EE) PreInit failed for input device "Synaptics_Touchpad"
(II) UnloadModule: "synaptics"

As you said, it looks like synaptics is trying to use the "auto" protocol,
although the configuration file tells it to use "psm".

Now, if I put the attached patch in x11-drivers/synaptics/files, using the
same xorg.conf, synaptics will fail like this:

(II) Synaptics touchpad driver version 0.14.6 (1406)
(EE) xf86OpenSerial: No Device specified.
Synaptics driver unable to open device
(EE) PreInit failed for input device "Synaptics_Touchpad"
(II) UnloadModule: "synaptics"

It almost looks as if I have to hardcode the device too, because synaptics
certainly ignores my options.

Any ideas?