licensing question APSL

Brooks Davis brooks at freebsd.org
Thu Feb 14 15:02:03 UTC 2008

On Thu, Feb 14, 2008 at 07:39:27AM +0100, Volker wrote:
> While working through the PR backlog, I found two PRs filed containing
> source code for two tools (decomment, relpath) under the Apple Public
> Source License (APSL).
>
> I think these tools aren't that bad but before pinging any committer
> with that, I thought I might throw the question on the table: What
> about importing code under the APSL license? Has there been any
> consensus in the past about that license?
>
> I'm not a lawyer but the license seems to be reasonable suited for the
> BSD projects.
>
> PRs in question: bin/67307 bin/67308

The quotes on the followup are essentially correct except that explicit
approval is required by core to add new Non-BSD-Licensed code and
that there would need to be a mechanism to not build them as part of
buildworld to allow environments that do not want to deal with the APSL
to avoid it similar to GPL or CDDL code.

-- Brooks