USB key && kernel: da0: Attempt to query device size failed: UNIT ?ATTENTION, Medium not present

Oliver Fromme olli at lurza.secnetix.de
Thu Aug 7 09:14:16 UTC 2008

Matthias Apitz wrote:
 > Oliver Fromme wrote:
 > > Matthias Apitz wrote:
 > > > I've updated usb/80361, see
 > > > http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=80361
 > > > because I have the same problem as well that an USB key attaches fine
 > > > when plugged in at boot time, but not later:
 > >
 > > I'm just wondering what happens if you enforce a rescan
 > > on the (virtual) SCSI bus.  That is, after you have
 > > plugged in the USB stick and the problem occured, type
 > > "camcontrol rescan 0".
 >
 > this did not helped; I tried it a lot of times;

OK.

 > also reading with dd(1) from /dev/da0 did not helped;

I think reading from it isn't expected to help.  The
device needs to be opened for _writing_ so the GEOM
layer assumes that the partition or slice table was
modified and re-reads it from the media.

Something like this should be sufficient:

    dd if=/dev/null of=/dev/da0 count=0

It openes the device for writing (this is important),
but doesn't actually write anything to it.

 > > If that doesn't help, please try this patch:
 >
 > The problem is that this was a USB stick of a friend of me in which I
 > have created a booting FreeBSD so he can make the installation of it in
 > an eeePC; will try to get back this USB stick from him for further
 > tests...

OK.

A little bit of background information:  If a USB
memory stick is detected fine during boot, but not
when plugged into the running system, it usually
indicates that the USB stick needs a longer delay
to be ready for the CAM SCSI layer.  The default
delay is 200 ms.  This might be too short for some
USB sticks.  The patch increases it to 2000 ms.

If that still doesn't help, then there must be a
completely different problem with your USB stick.
In that case someone with more intimate knowledge
of the USB code needs to help.

Best regards
   Oliver

cat man du : where Unix geeks go when they die