USB key && kernel: da0: Attempt to query device size failed: UNIT ?ATTENTION, Medium not present

Jeremy Chadwick koitsu at FreeBSD.org
Thu Aug 7 11:18:20 UTC 2008

On Thu, Aug 07, 2008 at 09:54:53AM +0200, Matthias Apitz wrote:
> El día Wednesday, August 06, 2008 a las 07:29:31PM +0200, Oliver Fromme escribió:
>
> > Matthias Apitz wrote:
> >  > I've updated usb/80361, see
> >  > http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=80361
> >  > because I have the same problem as well that an USB key attaches fine
> >  > when plugged in at boot time, but not later:
> >
> > I'm just wondering what happens if you enforce a rescan
> > on the (virtual) SCSI bus.  That is, after you have
> > plugged in the USB stick and the problem occured, type
> > "camcontrol rescan 0".
> >

> this did not helped; I tried it a lot of times; also reading with dd(1)
> from /dev/da0 did not helped;
>
> > If that doesn't help, please try this patch:
>
> The problem is that this was a USB stick of a friend of me in which I
> have created a booting FreeBSD so he can make the installation of it in
> an eeePC; will try to get back this USB stick from him for further
> tests...

Can we get the brand and model of USB stick, and any specific
model/version numbers that are on the device?  The dmesg you provided
doesn't have very good vendor strings in it (that's not your fault).

I can tell you that in the case of *some* SanDisk USB sticks (and
despite this, I still buy/use their products -- I like them), there are
versions with buggy USB code on them.

I spent quite some time with Supermicro trying to find out why a SanDisk
USB stick would not boot on some of their servers -- it turned out to be
broken/buggy firmware code inside of the USB stick itself.  Replacing it
with a different version (same size/model though) fixed the issue.

Just something to be aware of...