New FreeBSD package system (a.k.a. Daemon Package System (dps))

Fri May 11 14:12:27 UTC 2007

Quoting Dag-Erling Smørgrav <des at des.no> (from Fri, 11 May 2007
10:33:29 +0200):

> The existence of .la files is a bug.

I fully agree.

> We already have a mechanism for recording dependencies between
> libraries; it's built into the ELF format, and does not require
> hardcoding any directories.  Introducing .la files which override the
> existing mechanism and *do* hardcode directories is a regression.
>
> I don't buy the argument that "KDE won't build without them", or
> whatever it was you used to justify this.  There is nothing an .la file
> does which can't be done more properly by adding the correct directory
> to your ldconfig path.

Unfortunately you are addressing this to the wrong people. You need to
talk with the libtool people. Trying to use a libtool version which is
as closest as possible to the version distributed by the authors is a
very sane requirement for our ports collection and the users which
expect a sane behavior of libtool when they want to create a tarball
which is supposed to be cross-platform (for an appropriate value of
cross-platform).

So you need to address the issues upstream. As soon as a new release
comes out with the improvements you suggest, we will get them in
FreeBSD. The problem is that a lot of users of libltdl try to open the
.la file instead of the lib (AFAIR libltdl tries to first open the .la
then the .so if you don't have a .la or .so ending in the dlopen()
string, but most people specify the .la... I could misremember this,
it's been a while since I looked at it).

The way to go is to teach libtool about the ELF features and to not
produce the .la files on ELF systems. Additionally a warning in
libltdl needs to printed in case the .la file is used (as a second
step maybe adding a long delay to the loading in case a .la file is
used, to provoke the transition).

While it may be more easy to talk about doing something like this in
our ports collection, the way to go is to address this upstream with
the libtool authors, and not with portmgr/ade or on hackers/ports.

Bye,
Alexander.

--
Law of the Yukon:
	Only the lead dog gets a change of scenery.