ipw3945 assistance?

Max Laier max at love2party.net
Tue Jan 23 12:35:35 UTC 2007

On Saturday 20 January 2007 05:10, xoundmind wrote:
> Please excuse my noob status...I would like some assistance with
> installing the wpi-freebsd driver on a 6_2 Release setup. Please feel

N.B. wpi(4) != ipw(4) !!!  The latter is for the - now ancient - 1st
generation centrino cards (2100).  The former - supporting the 3945
cards - is in early stages of development (at least the port to FreeBSD
is).  The latest attempt is located at:
http://www.clearchain.com/wiki/Wpi

Note that this is not yet recommended for consumer use.  Eventhough
testing is welcome and encouraged, this work is simply not yet in a
stable enough state that documentation can be made available.  In
general, the tarball from the page above supplies you with everything you
need (other than a FreeBSD src-tree).  There is no need to download
additional firmware.  The focus, for now, is HEAD so testing in RELENG_6
is not supported.

The best advice, as a user and for now, seems to be to try ndis (though I
have heard reports that it doesn't work for the ipw hardware), or wait
for the driver to hit the tree.

/"\  Best regards,                      | mlaier at freebsd.org