Use of /etc/rc.conf.d (Was: Re: LDAP integration)

Lamont Granquist lamont at scriptkiddie.org
Thu Jan 11 20:11:08 UTC 2007

On Thu, 11 Jan 2007, Doug Barton wrote:
> Lamont Granquist wrote:
>> If i understand that correctly its not *exactly* what i was looking for,
>> but its better than a monolithic /etc/rc.conf
>>
>> It looks like you must put /etc/rc.d/inetd config into either
>> /etc/rc.conf or /etc/rc.config.d/inetd.
>
> Actually you can use both, but where variable names overlap whatever
> is sourced last will "win."

Yeah, poor english, I didn't mean to imply xor.

>> That means that if you've got two different orthogonal applications
>> runing on the same server which both need to run something orthogonal
>> out of inetd then they still wind up needing to do edits to the same
>> config file to get inetd configured correctly.
>
> Not exactly (and I think you're overusing the term orthogonal). :)

I think what i really need to do is dig deeper to find truly orthogonal
config in /etc/rc.conf.  I realized after i posted that i was mixing up
inetd settings of /etc/rc.conf and /etc/inetd.conf settings (the latter
could really use being busted up int /etc/inetd.d or just using xinetd --
i'm guessing i'll probably find a bikeshed about xinetd if i search the
archives though since i can't be the first person to suggest that...)

>> I'd rather see
>> /etc/rc.config.d/app01 and /etc/rc.config.d/app02 both able to tweak
>> inetd settings.  Of course there is the possibility that app01 and app02
>> could drop mutually conflicting inetd setttings, but you've got that
>> problem anyway in the existing scheme...
>
> I think this'd be great, I can't wait to see your patches. :)

I'll be diving in canada over the three day weekend, so we'll have to see
how much i care about this issue a week from now...