Use of /etc/rc.conf.d (Was: Re: LDAP integration)

Doug Barton dougb at FreeBSD.org
Thu Jan 11 18:42:07 UTC 2007

Lamont Granquist wrote:

> On Wed, 10 Jan 2007, Doug Barton wrote:

>> It's not documented, but the code is there in /etc/rc.subr:
>>
>> grep 'rc.conf\.d' /etc/rc.subr
>>        if [ -f /etc/rc.conf.d/"$_name" ]; then
>>                debug "Sourcing /etc/rc.conf.d/${_name}"
>>                . /etc/rc.conf.d/"$_name"
>
> If i understand that correctly its not *exactly* what i was looking for,
> but its better than a monolithic /etc/rc.conf
>
> It looks like you must put /etc/rc.d/inetd config into either
> /etc/rc.conf or /etc/rc.config.d/inetd.

Actually you can use both, but where variable names overlap whatever
is sourced last will "win."

> That means that if you've got two different orthogonal applications
> runing on the same server which both need to run something orthogonal
> out of inetd then they still wind up needing to do edits to the same
> config file to get inetd configured correctly.

Not exactly (and I think you're overusing the term orthogonal). :)

rc.conf and /etc/rc.conf.d only store configuration for the rc.d
scripts themselves. The configuration of inetd is still stored in
/etc/inetd.conf.

$ grep inetd /etc/defaults/rc.conf
inetd_enable="NO"       # Run the network daemon dispatcher (YES/NO).
inetd_program="/usr/sbin/inetd" # path to inetd, if you want a
different one.
inetd_flags="-wW -C 60" # Optional flags to inetd

vs. everything that is in /etc/inetd.conf.

> I'd rather see
> /etc/rc.config.d/app01 and /etc/rc.config.d/app02 both able to tweak
> inetd settings.  Of course there is the possibility that app01 and app02
> could drop mutually conflicting inetd setttings, but you've got that
> problem anyway in the existing scheme...

I think this'd be great, I can't wait to see your patches. :)

Doug