dump reads more than restore writes?

David Gilbert dgilbert at dclg.ca
Mon Jan 8 02:51:58 UTC 2007

I've got a command line like the following:

dump -0af - /dev/ad1s1g | restore -rf -

... and I'm watching gstat.  ad1s1g is not mounted.  The disk on which
the restore is running is also quiet (nobody using the disk).

And gstat says that ad1 is consistently reading 31 to 37 megabytes per
second and ad2 (the restore disk) is consistently writing 10 to 13
megabytes per second.  This is over hours --- the figures never catch
up.

So... is gstat wrong?  Is dump reading substantially more than restore
is writing?

Dave.