printing boot probe messages

Dag-Erling Smørgrav des at des.no
Tue Dec 25 12:36:25 PST 2007

Chuck Robey <chuckr at chuckr.org> writes:
> As far as the hints files go, I'm embarrassed to admit that I don't
> understand the difference between the hints file that I name (APRIL.hints)
> in my config file, and the device.hints in the man page of that name.

OK, so you customized your device hints file.  Don't do that; that's
what broke your console.  Don't compile device hints into your kernel,
either.  Just use the stock device.hints that mergemaster installs in
/boot, and you will be fine.  There is no need to modify the hints file
except in very special circumstances, and it has no effect on the size
of your kernel.

DES
Dag-Erling Smørgrav - des at des.no