kernel config for networking

Chuck Robey chuckr at chuckr.org
Tue Dec 4 14:48:02 PST 2007

I've been having problems trying to get the onboard networking to work
with this Asus Striker Extreme ever since I first put FreeBSD-current on
it.  Right now, I have a cheapy junk-pile card that probes as a dc0
working, but my motherboard has two nfe's (nfe0 & nfe1) that show up on
the desmg.  If I use ifconfig and activate them, the whole machine comes
to a complete halt (complete, neither console nor ssh sessions work,
machine is dead to the world apparently) and this starts whenever I use
ifconfig to turn up either nfe0 or nfe1.

I've complained before, but a new possibility occurred to me, while I
was slowly reading the NOTES in /sys/i386/conf, that the networking
stuff is very sensitive to order.  Is that still true?  If I have a dc
device and a nfe device, do I need to be aware of anything as regards
the config file statement order?

Thanks