Epic5-0.3.1 ruby support and FreeBSD AMD64 problem

Josh Paetzel josh at tcbug.org
Sun Nov 12 17:43:33 UTC 2006

I'm the port maintainer for irc/epic4 and irc/epic5 and try to liason
with the developers as much as possible.  I've received a request
from the Epic developers that I can't really help with and I'm
wondering if someone would be willing to be able to lend them a hand.

Epic5-0.3.1 includes optional ruby support.  When ruby support is
compiled in on an AMD64 box attempting to use gdb on it
spontainiously reboots the box, no panic, no hang, just a hard reset.
The problem has been verified to occur on 5-STABLE and 6-STABLE on
multiple machines.  It does not occur if the gdb from devel/gdb6 is
used.

At the moment I'm dealing with the situation by keeping the port at
5.0.2.0 but I'm getting more and more requests to get 0.3.1 into the
tree.  Given the nature of the problem doing so at this point means
either not having the ruby support in the port or marking it broken
for AMD64, neither of which are particularly attractive.

Any level of help would be appreciated, whether it's just a 'here's
what I would look for first" all the way up to digging into some
code.  I'd rather not post email addresses to the list but if a kind
soul wishes to get in contact with the epic team I can give contact
info out privately.

Another (possibly useful) data point that occurs to me is that it
hasn't been tested on any sort of 64 bit linux at all, so it's really
unknown if this is FBSD specific.

--
Thanks,

Josh Paetzel