Epic5-0.3.1 ruby support and FreeBSD AMD64 problem

Mike Meyer mwm-keyword-freebsdhackers2.e313df at mired.org
Sun Nov 12 21:12:52 UTC 2006

In <200611121143.22391.josh at tcbug.org>, Josh Paetzel <josh at tcbug.org> typed:
> I'm the port maintainer for irc/epic4 and irc/epic5 and try to liason
> with the developers as much as possible.  I've received a request
> from the Epic developers that I can't really help with and I'm
> wondering if someone would be willing to be able to lend them a hand.
>
> Epic5-0.3.1 includes optional ruby support.  When ruby support is
> compiled in on an AMD64 box attempting to use gdb on it
> spontainiously reboots the box, no panic, no hang, just a hard reset.
> The problem has been verified to occur on 5-STABLE and 6-STABLE on
> multiple machines.  It does not occur if the gdb from devel/gdb6 is
> used.
>
> At the moment I'm dealing with the situation by keeping the port at
> 5.0.2.0 but I'm getting more and more requests to get 0.3.1 into the
> tree.  Given the nature of the problem doing so at this point means
> either not having the ruby support in the port or marking it broken
> for AMD64, neither of which are particularly attractive.

Why not test for both conditions? I.e. - if ruby support is included
(you did say it was optional) AND if you're on amd64, then mark the
port as broken? Better yet, since using devel/gdb6 seems to fix the
problem, use devel/gdb6 under those conditions. Or - to keep it simple
- always use devel/gdb6.

Note that getting this problem fixed won't meean you can ignore it. If
you want to avoid building with the workaround (whatever that may be)
on amd64 after the fix has been committed, you'll have to check the OS
version, and optionally build with the workaround if someone is
installing the fix on an earlier version of FreeBSD.

	<mike