Is anyone working on a port of ZFS to FreeBSD

Joseph Scott joseph at randomnetworks.com
Thu Jun 1 11:06:48 PDT 2006

On Jun 1, 2006, at 9:50 AM, Robert Watson wrote:

> On Thu, 1 Jun 2006, Eric Anderson wrote:
>
>> Agreed it would be.  I'd love to see it (I'm an advocate for as
>> many filesystems available as possible actually).
>>
>> So, the real question is, who's going to volunteer to start
>> actually porting it?
>
> People interested in volunteering can expect lots of help and
> interest, but should go into it knowing that it's a highly complex
> multi man year project, and definitely not a summer project or
> "free weekends" sort of thing.  I'm happy to be proven wrong on
> that point, but it would be dishonest for me to suggest it will be
> easy.  :-)

I thought that I'd mentioned this on this list a few days ago, but
there is a SoC project to port ZFS to FUSE.  The person doing the
work is specifically targeting Linux for this, but since we already
have FUSE running on FreeBSD it seems like a pretty good way to at
least get something working (assuming the SoC project completes).

Jeff Bonwick's blog about it: http://blogs.sun.com/roller/page/
bonwick?entry=zfs_on_fuse_linux
ZFS on FUSE blog: http://zfs-on-fuse.blogspot.com/
ZFS on FUSE website/wiki: http://www.wizy.org/wiki/ZFS_on_FUSE

I doubt that I'd be any help making the code work, but I certainly
like to see this make to FreeBSD is possible.  If there are other
things that I can do to help then I'd be open to suggestions.

--
Joseph Scott
http://joseph.randomnetworks.com
joseph at randomnetworks.com