WINE vs. FreeBSD

Tijl Coosemans tijl at ulyssis.org
Fri Jul 28 01:07:00 UTC 2006

On Thursday 27 July 2006 23:53, Julian Elischer wrote:
> Tijl Coosemans wrote:
> > On Thursday 27 July 2006 17:21, John Baldwin wrote:
> > > The kernel should preserve %fs across syscalls, traps, and faults.
> > > Can you point to a specific case where %fs is not preserved?  It
> > > sounds like %fs is never set to a value in Wine.
> >
> > Yes, it was a combination of compiler optimizations and an inline
> > assembly block missing __volatile__.
>
> does this mean that wine will work from now on?
> i.e. is the fix being fed back into wine sources?

Not yet. Windows9x mode should work again as well as threading and TLS,
but there are still some open issues, mainly with exception handling
and file access. Exception handling was completely broken and is now
mostly working, but sometimes gets stuck in a loop generating
exceptions and eventually overflowing the stack.

I'll submit patches once Wine passes the most important unit tests,
unless someone already wants to have a look at them of course...