Building a sandboxed kernel

R. Tyler Ballance tyler at bleepsoft.com
Sun Jul 23 01:07:48 UTC 2006

I'm working on a project that relies on me building kernels outside
of the standard /usr/src (typically ~/perforce/projects/ ) on my
relatively standard 6.1-STABLE workstation. I'm wondering if I'd be
best suited by setting up a jail for kernel builds, I'm following
this doc: http://people.freebsd.org/~cognet/freebsd_arm.txt loosely
because I've created a new "arch folder" in src/sys for the kernel
code that I want to build (right now it's unmodified i386 code)

Between varying versions of userland tools (like config(8)) and path
troubles, I'm wondering what tips anybody has to doing non-standard
builds of the kernel (non-standard being not in /usr/src and not the
host arch)

Currently the make command I'm using, which doesn't work, is (/usr/
obj is chmod'd 777):

make TARGET_ARCH=iguana DESTDIR=/home/tyler/iguana buildkernel

Any suggestions?

Cheers,

-R. Tyler Ballance