CPU/case/disk temperature sensors for Dell PowerEdge 2850

Bruno Ducrot ducrot at poupinou.org
Wed Jan 25 05:44:47 PST 2006

On Tue, Jan 24, 2006 at 06:48:37PM -0500, Surer Dink wrote:
> All,
> (I was told this was /one/ of the appropriate forums for this message -
> however I did not want to cross-post - if this is not the correct place,
> please let me know and I will try the other suggestions [acpi- and ports-].)
>
> I have tried every means I could find to read the temperature sensors (CPU,
> case, disk) on Dell PowerEdge 2850 machines, and none seem to work.  Has
> anyone had success in doing this?  If such support does not exist, what
> would be required to add it?  If needed, I am willing to finance (within
> reason) development of this feature.  [I was told that Linux and Windows
> software to read this information is available, so I assume this is
> possible.]

First, install sysutils/freeipmi, then try it by this command:
# bmc-info

If it don't work, or loop forever, please install
dmidecode (sysutils/dmidecode) then give us the output from
it for the type entry 38 (IPMI Device Information).

An example of such entry is:

Handle 0x002B
        DMI type 38, 18 bytes.
        IPMI Device Information
                Interface Type: KCS (Keyboard Control Style)
                Specification Version: 1.5
                I2C Slave Address: 0x10
                NV Storage Device: Not Present
                Base Address: 0x0000000000000CA8 (I/O)
                Register Spacing: 32-bit Boundaries

Cheers,

--
Bruno Ducrot

--  Which is worse:  ignorance or apathy?
--  Don't know.  Don't care.