CPU/case/disk temperature sensors for Dell PowerEdge 2850

Surer Dink surerlistmail at gmail.com
Wed Jan 25 13:05:41 PST 2006

On 1/25/06, Bruno Ducrot <ducrot at poupinou.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 24, 2006 at 06:48:37PM -0500, Surer Dink wrote:
> > I have tried every means I could find to read the temperature sensors
> (CPU,
> > case, disk) on Dell PowerEdge 2850 machines, and none seem to work.  Has
> > anyone had success in doing this?  If such support does not exist, what
> > would be required to add it?  If needed, I am willing to finance (within
> > reason) development of this feature.  [I was told that Linux and Windows
> > software to read this information is available, so I assume this is
> > possible.]
>
> First, install sysutils/freeipmi, then try it by this command:
> # bmc-info
>
> If it don't work, or loop forever, please install
> dmidecode (sysutils/dmidecode) then give us the output from
> it for the type entry 38 (IPMI Device Information).

bmc-info hangs, output of dmidecode for type 38 is:
Handle 0x2600
        DMI type 38, 18 bytes.
        IPMI Device Information
                Interface Type: KCS (Keyboard Control Style)
                Specification Version: 1.5
                I2C Slave Address: 0x10
                NV Storage Device: Not Present
                Base Address: 0x0000000000000CA8 (I/O)
                Register Spacing: 32-bit Boundaries

Incidentally, I attempted the same on other servers (Dell 2550 and some
Supermicros) and they do not contain a "type 38" at all...