FreeBSD 6.0 default pty/tty-limit (256) OFF!

Mikko Työläjärvi mbsd at pacbell.net
Sat Jan 21 16:03:20 PST 2006

Hi Antti,

> I need patch to raise FreeBSD 6.0 default pty/tty-limit (256) UP or OFF.
> In shell-production usage, that limit is ridiculous, there must be stop to
> this and put PTY-limits off!
> I changed my servers operating systems moment ago from Linux to FreeBSD
> thinking that FreeBSD could be more better, but how this can be possible,
> that so important think like PTYs are limited to so low?? every UNIX has
> more ptys.

This is a long standing problem, as is evident from kern/25866 [1]
from 2001.  A more recent report is standards/90896 [2], wich also
contains a patch.

I'd suggest you try the patch and provide feedback to the bug report.

     $.02,
     /Mikko

1) http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=kern/25866)
2) http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=standards/90896