FreeBSD 6.0 default pty/tty-limit (256) OFF!

Kevin Kinsey kdk at daleco.biz
Mon Jan 16 17:35:17 PST 2006

>>Hi,
>>

>>I need patch to raise FreeBSD 6.0 default pty/tty-limit (256) UP or OFF.
>>In shell-production usage, that limit is ridiculous, there must be stop to
>>this and put PTY-limits off!
>>I changed my servers operating systems moment ago from Linux to FreeBSD
>>thinking that FreeBSD could be more better, but how this can be possible,
>>that so important think like PTYs are limited to so low?? every UNIX has
>>more ptys.
>>

>>I'm hoping fast reply from you..
>>

>>Yours,
>>Antti Korpela
>>

 >chris at i13i.com wrote:

>Then change the default it isnt hard you cant just come on a mailing list
>and demand a patch be raised just becuase you think this is rediculous
>this is why we have man pages and all that google.com/bsd your english is
>pretty poor too if you dont like freebsd then dont use it but dont demand
>people a patch just becuase you find something rediculous.

For starters, let be nice, and truthful.  The community is known for
this, and you've no leg to stand on.  His English grammar isn't so
great, but it is understandable; furthermore, he knows where the
shift key is and is ahead of you in spelling, 0 to 2; plus, take a
look at paragraph structure.  For the most part, 4 sentences
and 71 words beats one sentence of 66 for clarity.

I am not an expert, but looking at pty(4), it seems he has a point.
"/dev/pty[p-sP-S][0-9a-v]" sure looks like 2^8 to me.  But I'll
leave it to the experts to discuss the truth or fiction of the
assumption and the difficulty of its reconciliation, if such can
occur....

Kevin Kinsey

		-- Jay Gould