amd64 port on Prescott 2M?

Mike Meyer mwm-keyword-freebsdhackers2.e313df at mired.org
Mon Aug 14 16:07:21 UTC 2006

In <200608140929.53373.jhb at freebsd.org>, John Baldwin <jhb at freebsd.org> typed:
> On Saturday 12 August 2006 14:47, Mike Meyer wrote:
> > I just got a Prescott 2M core. While it's marketed as a P4, it's got
> > all the features of the Xeon Nocona core enabled (except for MP
> > support, of course): MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, HT, EM64T, EIST and XD.
> >
> > The question is whether or not the AMD64 build of FreeBSD - which runs
> > on Nocona - will run on this. If someone knows for sure it won't run,
> > they'll save me the time of trying it.
> If it has EM64T it should run FreeBSD/amd64.

That's what I would expect, but that's not what the online docs I
found said. I could have sworn it just talked about the Xeon nocona,
but I can't find it now :-(.

The HARDWARE.TXT file on the distribution does, but it's not accurate
(it says the 5xx series Prescott's don't have EM64T, but Intel docs
some of the 5x1's as having EM64T). It doesn't talk about the Cedar
Mill P4 core or the Pentium D's at all.

I'll look into submitting a doc PR to change this.

	<mike