serial login to SBC

Sergey Babkin babkin at verizon.net
Fri Sep 30 10:49:43 PDT 2005

>From: "M. Warner Losh" <imp at bsdimp.com>

>In message: <20050930154306.GJ74605 at numachi.com>
>            Brian Reichert <reichert at numachi.com> writes:
>: On Fri, Sep 30, 2005 at 05:14:01PM +0200, jerry at evasefor.com wrote:
>: >
>: > Hello list,
>: > I am trying to use a FreeBSD box to log into a Single Board Computer. I
>: > have a null modem and it's plugged to both serial
>: > ports. The SBC runs openbsd ( /dev/cua00).
>: > When I run "cu -l /dev/cuaa0" from FreeBSD, I don't get any login
>: > prompt.
>:
>: Do you have getty running on that port on the SBC?
>
>Do you have all the modem pins connected for this cable?

Also, is the cable pin-out correct even for the Rx
and Tx pins? There are weird recombinations of
male-female and DCE-DTE pin-out used by different
manufacturers. The easiest way to check is to get
a port tester (a pass-through BOX with LEDs) from
some place like Radioshack.

The correct Unix cable connection is

Tx - Rx
DTR - DSR, CD
CTS - RTS

(and the other side symmetric). Many cable
manufacturers use different (wrong) connections.

-SB