serial login to SBC

M. Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Fri Sep 30 11:57:29 PDT 2005

In message: <16436490.1128102582153.JavaMail.root at vms071.mailsrvcs.net>
            Sergey Babkin <babkin at verizon.net> writes:
: >From: "M. Warner Losh" <imp at bsdimp.com>
:
: >In message: <20050930154306.GJ74605 at numachi.com>
: >            Brian Reichert <reichert at numachi.com> writes:
: >: On Fri, Sep 30, 2005 at 05:14:01PM +0200, jerry at evasefor.com wrote:
: >: >
: >: > Hello list,
: >: > I am trying to use a FreeBSD box to log into a Single Board Computer. I
: >: > have a null modem and it's plugged to both serial
: >: > ports. The SBC runs openbsd ( /dev/cua00).
: >: > When I run "cu -l /dev/cuaa0" from FreeBSD, I don't get any login
: >: > prompt.
: >:
: >: Do you have getty running on that port on the SBC?
: >
: >Do you have all the modem pins connected for this cable?
:
: Also, is the cable pin-out correct even for the Rx
: and Tx pins? There are weird recombinations of
: male-female and DCE-DTE pin-out used by different
: manufacturers. The easiest way to check is to get
: a port tester (a pass-through BOX with LEDs) from
: some place like Radioshack.
:
: The correct Unix cable connection is
:
: Tx - Rx
: DTR - DSR, CD
: CTS - RTS
:
: (and the other side symmetric). Many cable
: manufacturers use different (wrong) connections.

Closely related is the

	1 3 5 7 9
	2 4 6 8 10

vs