arplookup/arpresolved failure messages in mailserver

Khaled khaled at ipbill.com
Fri Sep 30 08:54:44 PDT 2005

Hi,

I am seeing a lot of these messages in my /var/log/messages directory and
cannot understand why:

arplookup 192.168.0.12 failed: could not allocate llinfo
arpresolve: can't allocate llinfo for 192.168.0.12rt

There were more of these messages for two other IPs (one external), but this
is the only one with 'rt' trailed at the end of the IP. Whats this for?

Its been happenning since yesterday and it seems that the server is
attempting this every 2-3 seconds, which I think is the cause for a sluggish
mailserver (this litterally happened over night!).

Also, would this be linked to another incident which meant that all mail was
being dumped in queue (im running qmail MTA)?

Following a restart of the mail server, we experienced routing problems such
that we were not able to access the server from the office LAN but could be
accessed by another machine on its LAN; zebrad and ospfd did not start at
restart. Why was this?

This morning, all seems to be fine accept a couple of the following messages
from last night:

Sep 29 16:08:26 freebsd10 /kernel: arplookup 217.73.66.16 failed: host is
not on local network
Sep 29 17:40:50 freebsd10 /kernel: arplookup 217.73.66.16 failed: host is
not on local network
Sep 29 23:46:38 freebsd10 /kernel: arplookup 217.73.66.16 failed: host is
not on local network

Forgive me for being such a novice...but I am :)

Thanks

Khaled