serial login to SBC

jerry at evasefor.com jerry at evasefor.com
Fri Sep 30 10:44:11 PDT 2005

Thank you all for your replys. My answers are inline:

> : Do you have getty running on that port on the SBC?

yes. It should be running. We have in /etc/ttys (openbsd)

tty00   "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"   dialup on secure

> Do you have all the modem pins connected for this cable?

I got this null modem from circuit city. it worked in other
circumstances when I do serial debugging on other boxes.

>Also, make sure and use the right speed.  e.g., if the remote box's >console is running at 9600, do 'cu -l /dev/cuaa0 -s 9600'

I tried this and still no login prompt.

One thing I've noticed on the FreeBSD (5.4 RELEASE) dmesg is
sio0: port may not be enabled

I enabled the first serial port in the BIOS, but I still get this.
Me scratching head now. Anything else I may be missing?

J.