JFS2 on freebsd

Robert Watson rwatson at FreeBSD.org
Mon Sep 12 02:20:45 PDT 2005

On Mon, 12 Sep 2005, Ulrich Spoerlein wrote:

> On Fri, 09.09.2005 at 12:28:39 +0100, Robert Watson wrote:
>> On Thu, 8 Sep 2005, Kamal R. Prasad wrote:
>>> Has there been any work on porting JFS2 onto Freebsd?
>> There has been recent work to port several of the newer Linux file systems to FreeBSD,
>> including:
>
> What about the Google SoC project of porting FUSE to FreeBSD? I think
> this could be the next best thing with regard to supporting non-BSD
> filesystems.
>
> Iff the user-space FS implementations of FUSE are portable, this would
> bring support of numerous FS to FreeBSD: SMB via FUSE, SSHFS,
> gphoto2-fuse-fs (I really could use this one), NTFS (with read/write
> support) and others.
>
> Now some "Linux guy" could re-implement ext3fs in FUSE and some other
> hacker could do a UFS/UFS2 port and then Linux and FreeBSD would have
> better implementations of the other's FS.
>
> No, I'm not volunteering, and since I don't know much about porting FS
> anyway, this all might be a dream. But my understanding of FUSE is that
> this should be possible.

I think this is a useful approach for occasional file access, but I think
the general interest in the more interesting Linux file systems is for
less than occasional use.  I.e., not just migration of data from Linux to
FreeBSD, but for daily use in production on high performance systems.

Robert N M Watson