JFS2 on freebsd

Ulrich Spoerlein q at galgenberg.net
Mon Sep 12 01:54:59 PDT 2005

On Fri, 09.09.2005 at 12:28:39 +0100, Robert Watson wrote:
> On Thu, 8 Sep 2005, Kamal R. Prasad wrote:
> > Has there been any work on porting JFS2 onto Freebsd?
> There has been recent work to port several of the newer Linux file systems to FreeBSD,
> including:

What about the Google SoC project of porting FUSE to FreeBSD? I think
this could be the next best thing with regard to supporting non-BSD
filesystems.

Iff the user-space FS implementations of FUSE are portable, this would
bring support of numerous FS to FreeBSD: SMB via FUSE, SSHFS,
gphoto2-fuse-fs (I really could use this one), NTFS (with read/write
support) and others.

Now some "Linux guy" could re-implement ext3fs in FUSE and some other
hacker could do a UFS/UFS2 port and then Linux and FreeBSD would have
better implementations of the other's FS.

No, I'm not volunteering, and since I don't know much about porting FS
anyway, this all might be a dream. But my understanding of FUSE is that
this should be possible.

Ulrich Spoerlein
--
 PGP Key ID: F0DB9F44				Encrypted mail welcome!
Fingerprint: F1CE D062 0CA9 ADE3 349B  2FE8 980A C6B5 F0DB 9F44