[SOLVED] Re: Forcing boot to seek for files on other parition then `a'

Daniel Gerzo danger at wilbury.sk
Sun Sep 11 05:17:08 PDT 2005

Hello hackers,

Saturday, September 10, 2005, 11:43:15 PM, I wrote:

> Hello hackers,

<snip>

>   Ok, I will describe the main problem here;
>   According to the boot(8) manual the automatic boot will attempt to
>   load /boot/loader from partition `a'. But there's no such partition
>   and I have /boot/loader under the `e' partition. I know only one and
>   the only normal way how to force to use `e' partition. This is done
>   throught the boot2 stage of boot process, when one need to manually
>   type 0:ad(0,e)/boot/loader to the console so boot process will be
>   able to use needed utilities. The main question is:

>   How to force boot procedure to automatically seek boot images on
>   other partition then `a', let's say on `e' one.

Okay, with help of simon@ I've successfully hacked the boot2.c code so
the boot process is seeking for boot images at the right place.
Modicifaction I've done:

sys/boot/i386/boot2/boot2.c around line 306 on RELENG_5 in the load()
function I've added after declaration of variables:

dsk.part = 4; /* for partition d dsk.part=3, for e =4,f =5 and so */

then in sys/boot/i386/boot2/

# make obj && make depend && make && make install

and then

# bsdlabel -B ad0s1

this does the trick.

--