Adding 802.11 control/management frames

Sam Pierson samuel.pierson at gmail.com
Thu Sep 8 15:42:13 PDT 2005

Hello,

I've been digging in /sys/net80211 trying to find where things like beacons
are created and sent down to the driver.  I found in ieee80211.h where the
non-data frames are defined and I can see in the different device drivers
where the frames are handled.  But, for example, when you start an adhoc
network or a hostap node, beacon frames are sent out.  Where are these
beacon frames constructed?

My goal is to define a new non-data frame similar to the beacon, except
add space for a small payload.  I think I can add handling to the device
driver, but as I said, I can't figure out where the frames should start.

Thanks,

Sam