mergemaster improvement (auto-update for not modified files)

Daniel O'Connor doconnor at gsoft.com.au
Fri May 6 07:09:04 PDT 2005

On Fri, 6 May 2005 23:18, Denis Peplin wrote:
> But for not modified files etcmerge is too complicated. Updating
> for not modified files should be done in fully automated mode.

hmm, but for unmodified files etcmerge does nothing - you don't have to do
anything unless you want to edit the new files so it IS automated.

Like I said before etcmerge's UI is not like mergemaster - it is much more
batch oriented.

> And for comparision, this file
> http://people.freebsd.org/~den/scripts/mergemaster/sums-etc.list.gz
> is only 264 kB in size. Unlike etcmerge archives (from link in etcmerge
> manpage), it contain checksums, and checksums included for every
> revision, even if it was not included in official release.

You don't need to download anything to start using etcmerge, you can just use
the files from your last mergemaster.

> I think that checksums database can be even committed into
> CVS and will not bloat it. Ideally, this way of updating should be
> available even for those users who have no access to internet
> (distribution recieved on CDROM, etc.)

264k is a pretty large file to commit to the repo..

are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum