organization

Joerg Sonnenberger joerg at britannica.bec.de
Mon Mar 28 11:20:09 PST 2005

On Mon, Mar 28, 2005 at 11:05:30AM -0800, Julian Elischer wrote:
> As things have changed, some of the original layout decisions have
> become rather
> outdated.  For a slightly better example, check out the layout of the
> DragonflyBSD kernel
> sources. Matt took the oportunity to re-arange the FreeBSD sources when
> he imported
> them.. To some extent I agree with him (though not necessariy with his
> positioning of every file).

I completely agree here, but it is difficult to get everything into
the perfect place. The NetBSD idea of moving i386 and the other platforms
into arch/ is also very nice.

> It is possible that we could do with a reoganisation but it isn't a
> work-free job..
> Matt took some time to get everything working again..

The biggest problem is keeping history here. Doing something like that
with CVS is a major PITA. We didn't have any old release, so moving
the repository files didn't create a problem. That's impossible in
FreeBSD land :)

Joerg