running freebsd in qemu using the "-nographic" option ?

Aziz KEZZOU opensource.enthousiat at gmail.com
Thu Mar 24 12:01:42 PST 2005

> Aziz KEZZOU wrote:
>
> >Hi all,
> >I am running freebsd 5.3 under qemu (a fast IA32 emulator). My host
> >system is linux. Everything works fine, but I want to get rid of this
> >small non-scrollable window, not practical when gcc says I made many
> >many errors :-)...
> >

> you can scroll it after hittong tthe "scroll lock" key
>
> >Instead I want to get a console. In qemu's  documentation it says :
> >======================================================================
> >`-nographic'
> >    Normally, QEMU uses SDL to display the VGA output. With this
> >option, you can totally disable graphical output so that QEMU is a
> >simple command line application. The emulated serial port is
> >redirected on the console. Therefore, you can still use QEMU to debug
> >a Linux kernel with a serial console.
> >======================================================================
> >
> >So basically what I need is, some how, to tell the freebsd kernel to
> >forward its output/input to a serial port. In linux this is done by
> >supplying the parameter "console=ttyS0". Is there something equivalent
> >in FreeBSD ?
> >

> in /boot/loader.conf add:
>
> console="comconsole"
>
> that should do it..

Thank you guys, that seems easy to do...but I don't have access to
/etc/boot.conf : all I have is a disk image generated by bximage,
which I can't mount !!

The pb is that with my new install the SDL window doesn't work any
more : qemu says "Could not initialize SDL - exit". I did "xhost +"
but didn't change any thing ?!  Anyway I am not spending any more time
to get the SDL window which I don't really need :-)

So basically what I want to do now is mount the freeBSD image in a
loopback and modify the boot.conf file directly. Anyone knows how to
do this under linux (2.6 if relevant) ? BSD seems to have a "weird"
way of organizing the disk. Which file system shoud I support ?

Thanks,
Aziz