running freebsd in qemu using the "-nographic" option ?

Julian Elischer julian at elischer.org
Fri Mar 25 15:47:57 PST 2005

Aziz KEZZOU wrote:

>>>Hi all,
>>>I am running freebsd 5.3 under qemu (a fast IA32 emulator). My host
>>>system is linux. Everything works fine, but I want to get rid of this
>>>small non-scrollable window, not practical when gcc says I made many
>>>many errors :-)...
>>>

>>you can scroll it after hittong tthe "scroll lock" key
>>

>>>Instead I want to get a console. In qemu's  documentation it says :
>>>======================================================================
>>>`-nographic'
>>>   Normally, QEMU uses SDL to display the VGA output. With this
>>>option, you can totally disable graphical output so that QEMU is a
>>>simple command line application. The emulated serial port is
>>>redirected on the console. Therefore, you can still use QEMU to debug
>>>a Linux kernel with a serial console.
>>>======================================================================
>>>
>>>So basically what I need is, some how, to tell the freebsd kernel to
>>>forward its output/input to a serial port. In linux this is done by
>>>supplying the parameter "console=ttyS0". Is there something equivalent
>>>in FreeBSD ?

you have 2 apportunities to switch to serail console during boot..
once, before the big printout of stuff you have a single cursor sitting
on teh screen for a few (5?) seconds
hitting "-h" there will switch to serial..
also

at teh 10 second countdown, hit space to get to teh prompt and type
'set console="comconsole"'
followed by "boot"

>>in /boot/loader.conf add:
>>
>>console="comconsole"
>>
>>that should do it..
>>

>Thank you guys, that seems easy to do...but I don't have access to
>/etc/boot.conf : all I have is a disk image generated by bximage,
>which I can't mount !!
>
>The pb is that with my new install the SDL window doesn't work any
>more : qemu says "Could not initialize SDL - exit". I did "xhost +"
>but didn't change any thing ?!  Anyway I am not spending any more time
>to get the SDL window which I don't really need :-)
>
>So basically what I want to do now is mount the freeBSD image in a
>loopback and modify the boot.conf file directly. Anyone knows how to
>do this under linux (2.6 if relevant) ? BSD seems to have a "weird"
>way of organizing the disk. Which file system shoud I support ?

I don't know linux...
sorry