Firewire blues

Ulrich Spoerlein q at uni.de
Fri Feb 18 15:39:47 PST 2005

On Fri, 18.02.2005 at 14:32:36 -0500, Stephan Uphoff wrote:
> Changing a line in the function dcons_modevent() (File
> sys/dev/dcons/dcons.c or dcons_os.c depending on your sources) should
> help you.
>
>  #if __FreeBSD_version >= 500000
>   -             if (ret == 0) {
>   +             if (ret == 0 && dcons_consdev.cn_pri == CN_DEAD) {
>                         dcons_cnprobe(&dcons_consdev);
>                         dcons_cninit(&dcons_consdev);
>                         cnadd(&dcons_consdev);
>                 }
> #endif

Didn't work.

> As a work around you should also be able to set
> boot_multicons="YES"
> in your /boot/loader.conf file. (Not tested)

Didnt work either. I tried both and booted into single-user mode. There
was _no_ local console, only the firewire one.

> On a running system you can use conscontrol to change console devices.

This works, running conscontrol consolectl immediately switches to the
local console, but how am I supposed to run this command when booting
into singleuser? Can I somehow lower the priority of dcons?

Ulrich Spoerlein
--
 PGP Key ID: F0DB9F44				Encrypted mail welcome!
Fingerprint: F1CE D062 0CA9 ADE3 349B  2FE8 980A C6B5 F0DB 9F44