Firewire blues

Stephan Uphoff ups at tree.com
Fri Feb 18 20:20:33 PST 2005

On Fri, 2005-02-18 at 18:39, Ulrich Spoerlein wrote:
> On Fri, 18.02.2005 at 14:32:36 -0500, Stephan Uphoff wrote:
> > Changing a line in the function dcons_modevent() (File
> > sys/dev/dcons/dcons.c or dcons_os.c depending on your sources) should
> > help you.
> >
> >  #if __FreeBSD_version >= 500000
> >   -             if (ret == 0) {
> >   +             if (ret == 0 && dcons_consdev.cn_pri == CN_DEAD) {
> >                         dcons_cnprobe(&dcons_consdev);
> >                         dcons_cninit(&dcons_consdev);
> >                         cnadd(&dcons_consdev);
> >                 }
> > #endif
>
> Didn't work.

Strange - are you sure that you have not accidentally have
options         DCONS_FORCE_CONSOLE=1
in your config file?
( Or forgot to config or make depend after removing it?)

Works on 5.3 release for me. (Default loader.conf ...)

> > As a work around you should also be able to set
> > boot_multicons="YES"
> > in your /boot/loader.conf file. (Not tested)
>
> Didnt work either. I tried both and booted into single-user mode. There
> was _no_ local console, only the firewire one.

There is a tunable hidden in dcons_crom that causes the dcons console to
be selected.

Try adding boot_multicons and hw.firewire.dcons_crom.force_console to
/boot/loader.conf:
boot_multicons="YES"
hw.firewire.dcons_crom.force_console=0