Star & FreeBSD

Joerg Schilling schilling at fokus.fraunhofer.de
Mon Feb 14 03:23:02 PST 2005

David Schultz <das at FreeBSD.ORG> wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 11, 2005, Jonathan Weiss wrote:
> > > Is the CDDL license compatible with the BSD and MIT licenses?
> >
> > According to the OpenBSD-folks: NO
>
> Actually, I think the answer is YES.  You're apparently answering
> a different question.  See below.

> However, I believe it is generally not possible to use CDDL code
> for integral parts of FreeBSD because, like the LGPL, the CDDL
> requires that modifications be made available under the CDDL.
> It is probably fine for kernel modules and extensions, but that's
> something core@ needs to decide.

I believe that FreeBSD could e.g. use DTrace.

In order to make it work under FreeBSD, it needs porting.

Then the ported source code will be put on the FreeBSD ftp server.

Somebody who likes to make embedded devices that are based on FreeBSD
could point to the FreeBSD ftp server in order to "make the sources available".

If someone does not like this at all, he could create a FreeBSD kernel
that does not include DTrace support.

Jörg

       js at cs.tu-berlin.de		(uni)
       schilling at fokus.fraunhofer.de	(work) Blog: http://schily.blogspot.com/