NFS mount / paranoia / conn problems

Eric Anderson anderson at centtech.com
Thu Feb 3 10:41:56 PST 2005

I'm having some NFS mounting issues with FreeBSD 5.3 (RELEASE).

Here's what my issue is:
I have a FreeBSD client, and various NFS servers.  The NFS servers are dual homed, and the FBSD client can mount NFS shares from either of the NICs on the servers.

When using the automounter, I can connect to either interface on the server, so long as I have the vfs.nfs.nfs_ip_paranoia setting set to '0' (default is '1').  Of course, turning the sysctl to '1' breaks it as expected.

Now, here's where the problems come in.

If I do a regular mount of the NFS server, it will hang regardless of whether I have the sysctl setting set or not. So, this fails:
mount_nfs servernic1:/mount /mnt
with this message:
[udp] servernic1:/mount: NFSPROC_NULL: RPC: Timed out

However, this will work:
mount_nfs -c servernic1:/mount /mnt

The man page for mount_nfs claims that -c is deprecated, and instead uses the sysctl mentioned above, but it actually ignores the sysctl.  Also, the man page claims that adding 'conn' to the mount options in the fstab will do the same as adding -c to the command line, but it seems to ignore it.

I'm happy with any solution, as long as I can get my fstab entries working like they should, but this definitely seems like a bug to me.  I'm willing to try anything to help fix this.

Eric