Parking disk drive heads

Mike Silbersack silby at silby.com
Sat Aug 20 08:18:27 GMT 2005

On Fri, 19 Aug 2005, Doug Ambrisko wrote:

> Flash is nice but it has some issues.  Atleast dropping it isn't one!
>
> Doug A.

I'd be really happy if I could get a USB flash drive to last more than 8
months.  Luckily, I started weekly backups after the first failure.  That
helped a lot when the second failure happened.

The weird ways flash goes bad really makes me want to run something with
full checksums (like ZFS) on it.  Alas, even if I hacked up UFS to support
such features, I suspect the W2K machines at work would be unhappy with
it. :)

I wonder if I should hack together a script that does MD5s during the
backup process and notifies me if untouched files start changing...

Mike "Silby" Silbersack