Parking disk drive heads

Doug Ambrisko ambrisko at ambrisko.com
Sat Aug 20 03:59:51 GMT 2005

Julian Elischer writes:
| just placing an unmounted drive down on a hard table, even when
| not running, can ruin it. We lost hundreds that way at Whistle until
| we did a failure analysis. Just placing a rubber mat on the table.
| fixed it and instructing the staff to always put the drives on
| a soft surface made the problem go right away.

Not quite.  Burn-in helped more.  A few were head slaps but more was
just media that needed exercising.  It's the "lands minds" that bite you
more when it has swap or other critical data on it.

A little historical correction.

Flash is nice but it has some issues.  Atleast dropping it isn't one!

Doug A.