Finding an illegal instruction in gnucash/guile

Peter Jeremy PeterJeremy at optushome.com.au
Sun Aug 7 19:11:05 GMT 2005

On Sun, 2005-Aug-07 11:07:16 +0300, Vasil Dimov wrote:
>On Sat, Aug 06, 2005 at 09:49:36PM +1000, Peter Jeremy wrote:

>> scratch with different CPUTYPE and/or CFLAGS?  (I'm currently using
>> CPUTYPE=athlon-xp and CFLAGS=-O -g).
>
>Hmmz, CFLAGS=-O -g, what do you expect from this combination?

Optimise the code and generate symbolic debugging information.  Unlike
many other compilers, "-O" and "-g" are not mutually exclusive in gcc.

>gcc(1):
>Without `-O', the compiler's goal is to reduce the cost of  com-
>pilation  and  to  make  debugging produce the expected results.

Without "-O", gcc will compile each statement independently and
ensure that any results are assigned to the target variables at
the end of each statement.  This makes is easy to debug because
the program flow will match the source code.

"-O" allows the compiler to re-order code, delete dead code, remove
variable assignments, etc.  The code is still functionally equivalent
but is not as easy to debug because of the re-arrangements.  This is
more suited to production code where you don't intend to perform any
debugging but do not want to make it impossible to debug if an
unexpected problem occurs.

--
Peter Jeremy